Monday — the first day of Spring — was warm and sunny with very little breeze. I decided to go out in the garden and try to get a little something done in a couple of hours. The temperature eventually hit 60 degrees F. (15.55 C.) and I spent the better part of six hours on my hands and knees or bending over from a standing position. It was glorious! The first thing on my list was to cut away all the foliage on my Hellebores since the buds were coming right up. This bin is just the clippings from my three original Hellebore plants, all Royal Heritage strain.
They really aren't that special given the wonderful Hellebores now on the market, but I love them because they were my first. And they are the only ones out of all the Hellebores I grow that have produced seedlings. Now I need to decide how serious I want to be about growing them on.
Before I play with the seedlings, I need to discover if the white bud at the top left of the photo above is a mutant from the main red plant or has jumped over from the pale Hellebore a foot or so away and is unrelated. Hard to tell at this stage.
I have three varieties of snowdrops (Galanthus ssp.) in bloom and other varieties sending up clumps of leaves. This is G. nivalis viridapace with very visible green markings. The snowdrops that are flowering are all quite different from each other putting paid to the idea that they all look alike. Even an untrained and uninterested eye would see the difference!
Tuesday was mostly cloudy and a good 20 degrees cooler. I went out for an hour but only to find enough leaves to pile on top of my species peonies which are all showing. This is P. japonica which might not care that the overnight lows are still in the teens. But I decided I was foolish to chance these buds getting frostbite. The daytime and nighttime temps are both about to rise which means the garden will soon need some serious attention. Next up on the list is cutting away all the Epimedium foliage before those flowers start to appear.